Bartel, B., Bohon, W., Frank, L., Stovall, W., Poland, M., Communicating Geohazards: Delivering Information in Crisis and Calm, White paper, 2020.
Bartel, B., Bohon, W., Agopian, M., The unexpected benefits of science communication training, Eos, 2019.
Bartel, B, Bohon, W., The Hazards of Hazards Communication: Importance, rewards, and challenges of science in the public sphere, White paper, 2019.
Bohon, W., Robinson, S., Arrowsmith, JR., Semken, S., Building an effective social media strategy for science programs, Eos, Transactions American Geophysical Union, v. 94, Issue 27, p 237-244, 2013. Doi: 10.1002/2013EO270001.
Bohon, W., A Series of Fortunate Events, The Xylom, 2019.
Shukla, P., Ul-Hasan, S., Balasubramanyam, V., Bohon, W., et al., Scientists, Meet Twitter!, The Xylom, 2019.
Wagner, C., Bohon, W., McCullagh, E., Kim, T., Zelikova, J., Goldman, G., Metcalf, J., Gallery, R., Infertility and the Leaky Pipeline, Scientific American, March 8, 2019.
McCullagh, E., Henry-Moss, D., Bohon, W., Phinney, W., Jedd, T., Goldman, G., Do science. Pump. Repeat., Scientific American, March 18, 2019.
- The Importance of Social Media Strategy, Invited Speaker, Geological Society of America Pardee, 2019.
- This is what a scientist looks like: transforming science to be more open, inclusive and accessible, Optical Society of America, Student Leadership Conference, 2019.
- Dr. Mommy: striving for science and motherhood, The Story Collider, Washington, DC, 2019.
- Science communication from the classroom to the chat room, Keynote speaker at the National Association of Geoscience Teachers Eastern Section meeting, 2019.
- Social Media and Science Communication for Students, invited talk at The College of William and Mary, 2019.
- Learning to listen: Active listening for science students, invited talk at The College of William and Mary, 2019.
- Rocks from Space!, Nerd Nite, Washington DC, 2018.
- Using social media to communicate science, Invited speaker, American Geophysical Union Fall Meeting, 2017.
- Social media for science: Why, where and how, Invited speaker, Seismological Society of America Spring Meeting, 2017.
- Importance of strategy in social media: Getting the most out of your post, Invited speaker, American Geophysical Union Fall Meeting, 2016.
- Social media and science: Where do we go from here?, Invited speaker, American Geophysical Union Fall Meeting, 2013.
Online Talks, Panels and Workshops:
- Basics of Science Communication (talk), University of Florida, Arizona State University, Loma Linda University, 2020.
- Social Media for Scientists (talk), THE Ohio State University, 2020.
- 1 Million Women in STEM panelist, 2020.
- Networking, Scientific Meetings and Social Media (workshop), UNAVCO interns, 2020.
- Science Communication in Education (workshop), Earth Educators Rendezvous, July 2020.
- Science Communication, University of Florida, 2020.
- Scientific Storytelling, AGU, Dec, 2019.
- Social Media for Hazards Scientists SIG – SAGE/GAGE, Oct 2019.
- Networking Workshop for Early Career Scientists – SAGE/GAGE, Oct 2019.
- Geohazards Communication for Geoscience Students and Early Career Journalists – Oct 2019.
- Social Media for Scientists Workshop, Science Communication Workshop Co-lead, the Geological Society of America Annual Meeting, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019.
- Tell me a story: Storytelling in Science Communication, workshop co-lead, the American Geophysical Union Fall Meeting, 2018.
- Ready to Engage, networking workshop co-lead, the Geological Society of America Annual Meeting, 2018.
- The Joy of Networking, Early Career Scientists Workshop Co-lead, the Geological Society of America Annual Meeting, 2018, 2019.
- Communicating Science to the General Public, Teacher Education Workshop Co-lead, Earth Educators’ Rendezvous, 2018.
- Connecting with Different Audiences: From the Podium to the Pub(lic), Science Communication Workshop Co-lead, IRIS Workshop, 2018.
- Science Communication – Network Skills for Early Career Scientists, Networking Workshop Co-Lead, IRIS Workshop, 2018.
- Communicating Science for Impact, Science Communication Workshop Co-lead, UNAVCO Science Workshop, 2018.
- Social Media for Scientists, Professional Development Workshop Co-lead, American Geophysical Union Fall Meeting, 2017, 2018, 2019.
- Talking to the Media, Science Communication Workshop Co-lead, 500 Women Scientists meeting, Boulder, CO, 2017.
- Navigating and Maximizing a Digital, Social World, Science Communication Workshop Co-lead, Southern California Earthquake Center Annual Meeting, 2016.
- Sharing Science on International Day of Disaster Reduction, AGU Sharing Science, 2019.
- Social Media and Science Identity, IRIS Intern Professional Development, 2019.
- Communicating science to a non-science audience, IRIS Intern Professional Development, 2019.
- Social Media Strategy for 500 Women Scientists Pod Leaders, 500 Women Scientists, 2019.
- Using Social Media to Improve Inclusion and Amplify Marginalized Voices, 500 Women Scientists, 2019.
- Science Communication and Social Media, Penn State science communication classes, 2018, 2019.
- Social Media, Trust and Contentious Communication, IRIS Intern Professional Development, 2018, 2019.
- Communicating Science through Social Media, IRIS webinar presenter, 2018, 2019.
- Communicating Science to a Broad Audience: Social Media for You and Your Students, InTeGrate Webinar, 2018.
- Social Media for Scientists and Science Programs, IRIS Webinar Series, 2017.
- Mission Unstoppable, CBS, segment guest, 2019.
- NBC News, California earthquakes, subject matter expert, 2019.
- 2M Media Group, Interview 360, subject matter expert interview, 2019.
- NBC News, Kenya crack subject matter expert, 2018. –
- Cox Phoenix, The STEM Journals, segment guest, 2013.
- Wednesdays with Wendy, 2020.
- Going Places, 2020.
- Volcano Moments, 2020.
- EarthScope Interview, 2013.
- AGU Storycorp: “What’s my motivation said neither of these two ever. An Interveiw with Lucy Jones and Wendy Bohon“, 2019.
- Profoundly Pointless: “Earthquake experts“, 2019.
- Featured in book: “The ABC’s of Women in Stem” by Ashley Stenzel, 2019
- Featured by 500 Women Scientists: “Shatter the Glass Ceiling“, 2018.
- Work featured by GSA: “Learning about Himalayas using Mars Technology“, 2018.
- Featured by The Ohio State University: Alumni Spotlight, 2018.
- Selected media article quotes
- National Geographic: “Why the Oaxaca Earthquake Made Building Sway Hundreds of Miles Away”
- National Geographic: “Why so Many Earthquakes are Rocking Puerto Rico”
- Temblor: “Don’t Panic, Prepare! Delhi Earthquakes Remind Citizens of Risk”
- Mashable: “Shaky California turns on its long awaited quake alert app”
- National Geographic: “Hear the sounds of climate change—with earthquake monitors”
- Vice: “Scientists Discover a New Phenomena Called ‘Stormquakes’
- NPR: “After Quakes, Puerto Rico’s Electricity Is Back On For Most, But Uncertainty Remains”
- National Geographic: “The Science Behind California’s Two Big Earthquakes”
- National Geographic: “Groundbreaking earthquake catalogue may have just solved a seismic mystery”
- NOVA: “Deadly Indonesia Earthquake Reached Rare ‘Supershear’ Speed”
- National Geographic: “Strange waves rippled around Earth. Now we may know why.”
- CNN: “How men can help women fight sexual harassment”
- Popular Science: “Science needs to be more inclusive and women are making it happen“
- Observer: “500 Women Scientists Group Focuses on Education, Gender Diversity Post-Women’s March“
- Forbes: “Why Were Dozen’s of People in White Lab Coats at the Women’s March in DC?”
- TechSPARK: “500 Women Scientists, the organization that’s building a more inclusive society on a global scale“
- Indy100: “This is what’s really going on with that mysterious crack in Kenya, according to a geologist”