Wendy Bohon is a geologist who studies earthquakes and works to improve the communication of hazard and risk before, during and after rapid onset geologic hazards.
She has worked on many tectonics related projects in her career, including the B4 LiDAR project in Southern California, climate and tectonics studies in Northwestern Argentina, GPS deployment projects in Bolivia, thrust fault studies in Argentina and the tectonic evolution of the southwestern margin of the Tibetan Plateau in India. Her research interests include geomorphology, paleoseismology, landscape evolution, geologic hazards communication and geoscience education. She is currently the geologist and science communication specialist for the Incorporated Research Institutions for Seismology.
Wendy is a AAAS If/Then Ambassador, on the board of 500 Women Scientists, and is the author of the blog “Twinning at Motherhood“. She is also the founder of the social media managing and consulting company SpaceFace Social Media. She lives in MD with her husband, daughter, twin boys and a menagerie of animals.
Education and Experience
- 2008 – 2014 Arizona State University, Tempe, AZ; PhD, Geology.
- 2006 – 2008 THE Ohio State University, Columbus, OH; MSc, Geology.
- 2002 – 2006 Pasadena City College, Pasadena, CA; Continuing Education.
- 1994 – 1998 James Madison University, Harrisonburg, VA; BA, Theatre & Geology.
- 2015 – present; Geologist & Science Communication Specialist, IRIS, Washington, DC.
- 2011 – present; Owner and Operator of SpaceFace Social Media, MD.
- 2014 – 2015; Post-Doctoral Researcher, EarthScope National Office, Tempe, AZ.
- 2009 – 2014; Social Media Manager, EarthScope National Office, Tempe, AZ.
- 2008 – 2009; Social Media Manager, OpenTopography, San Diego, CA.
- 2008 – 2014; Graduate Student, Arizona State University, AZ
- 2006 – 2008; Graduate Student, The Ohio State University, OH.
- 2000 – 2006; Outreach & Education Coordinator, USGS Earthquake Hazards Program, Pasadena, CA.
- 1998 – 2002; Actress, Los Angeles, CA.
APPOINTMENTS, SERVICE AND TRAINING
- 2019 – present; AAAS If/Then Ambassador
- 2019; Public Information Officer, JIC and JIS training
- 2017 – present; THE Ohio State University School of Earth Science Alumni Board
- 2016 – present; 500 Women Scientists Leadership Board
Follow Wendy on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram and YouTube at @DrWendyRocks